“There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.”
– Henry James (1843-1916) said in his book “The Portrait of a Lady”, published in 1881 and we couldn’t agree more!
Quintessentially English, the tradition of enjoying dainty sandwiches, delectable scones and piping hot tea from lovely teapots and china cups and saucers is thanks to the seventh Duchess of Bedford, Anna getting hungry around 4pm most days back in 1840. The routine in her household was that the main evening meal was served late at 8pm, leaving a long time between midday lunch and dinner. The peckish Duchess would often request that a tray laden with bread, butter, cake and tea be brought to her during the late afternoon. After forming the luxury habit, she started welcoming friends to partake in Afternoon Tea with her.
Making time for Afternoon Tea soon caught on and quickly became a trendy social event to participate in resulting in the upper-class and stylish society women of the 1880s donning their most fashionable gloves, hats and dresses for their Afternoon Tea, which they savoured while chatting with their peers in the drawing room between 4 and 5pm most afternoons.
Of course, today men and women can both have fun with a luxury afternoon tea and they don’t need to be ‘posh’ or extremely wealthy and dressed up to do so! In fact, we offer a scrumptious Afternoon Tea here at Barcaldine Castle (£21pp) next to our roaring fire, ideal if you’ve spent the day out and about in the areas and attractions local to our beautiful castle.
5 Reasons to Indulge in Afternoon Tea:
1) Time Out – It’s mentally rewarding and essential that we take time out of our hectic schedules, away from screens and stress and take time to unwind and reflect – the tea and sweet bites are a happy bonus!
2) Socialising with Those That Matter – Good friendships and relationships only remain strong if they are kept well maintained. What better excuse for meeting and catching up with a few friends than sharing some delicious light snacks?!
3) Keep the Tummy Rumbling at Bay – When broken down, the custom is basically eating a meal to keep your energy levels up, giving your productivity and concentration levels and mood a subsequent boost. “Afternoon Tea” simply adds to the delight and charm.
4) Locally Sourced – If you opt to have your Afternoon Tea at Barcaldine Castle, you’ll be treated to Locally Sourced Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese on Farmhouse Bread as one of the tasty choices.
5) Food That’s Kind– Again, if Barcaldine Castle is your choice of Afternoon Tea venue, ethical and healthy options such as Free Range Egg and Fresh Watercress on Brown Bread and Chicken & Rocket Sandwiches on Granary Bread are available.
To book your Afternoon Tea slot at Barcaldine Castle call us today on +44 (0) 1631 720598.